RENEWABLE GENERATION AND ENERGY CONVERSIONAnno accademico 2020/2021 - 2° anno
SSD: ING-IND/33 - Sistemi elettrici per l'energia
Organizzazione didattica: 225 ore d'impegno totale, 146 di studio individuale, 49 di lezione frontale, 30 di esercitazione
APRI IN FORMATO PDF ENGLISH VERSION
With the continuous significant increase of energy demand and environment issues renewable energy systems have become a critical research topic worldwide.
In this context, this course aims to provide students the key understandings, concepts, and principles of electrical power systems with the integration of renewable energy components. Specifically, the topics covered in this course will be renewable energy systems such as: wind system, solar power systems, tidal and waves sytems, distributed generation, storage technologies and others. This course will also introduce the latest research development on smart grid technology, such as the participation of distributed generation (DG) to ancillary service provision for the transmissione system operator (TSO).
The objective of the course is also to show how converter topologies are utilised in renewable energy systems (wind and PV), in utility applications (for example HVDC) and to further investigate the converters in terms of their efficiency, control characteristics, description of dynamics and their closed- loop control. Some advanced converter topologies, especially in the context of large and complex applications, which are beyond the scope of a first course in power electronics, are also treated.
The course introduces students to computer modelling of power electronic converters got renewable energy generation and energy storage integration into AC grid and their control circuits using modern simulation platform like PSIM and Simscape-Electrical in Matlab-Simulink.
At the end of the course, the student will be able to analize the renewable energy potential of a given place and sizing the relative generators. Further he can recognize the most common conversion chain and to operate as a system designer.
The acquired information will allow students to collaborate with experts in the project of renewable energy power plants.
Modalità di svolgimento dell'insegnamento
The class activity is used to convey knowledge and it is organized as follows:
1) the lecture notes are outlined— first major points, then the minor points that elaborate on or explain each major point;
2) relevant, concrete examples, in advance of the lecture, selecting examples familiar and meaningful to the students are provided;
3) students are allowed to stop the lecture to ask relevant questions, make comments, or ask for review;
4) intersperse periodic summaries within the lecture are considered;
5) lectures start with a question, problem, current event, or something that just grabs the students’ attention;
6) active learning techniques are used (technological aids, such as multimedia presentations);
7) simulations sessions are used to check and grasp the theoretical concepts.
The students should have the following background:
- trigonometry, basic calculus, complex numbers, and phasor concepts
- the basic concepts of electricity and magnetism to understand electric circuits,
- a working knowledge of ac three-phase electrical circuits,
- fundamental electric power engineering concepts such as power factor and transmission lines.
- power electronics basics
- steady-state characteristics of various AC-DC, DC-DC, and DC-AC converter circuits
The lectures/tutorials/seminars are not compulsory, However students are greatly encouraged to attend class meetings because it is assumed that the lectures, demonstrations, and discussion will facilitate their learning.
Contenuti del corso
- Introduction to the renewable energies in power systems
- The Solar Resource
- Photovoltaic Materials, Electrical Characteristics and systems
- Solar thermal systems
- Monitoring of PV, solar thermal (ST) and PV/T systems
- Concentrating solar power (CSP) technologies
- Wind energy source
- Wind Power Systems
- Marine power system technologies
- impact of non programmable renewables on power systems
- Distribution generation and ancillary services (e.g.Smart grids)
- Renewable hydrogen
- Fuel cell
- Electrochemica storage
- Power converters topologies for stand-alone and grid connected systems
- Maximum power point tracking strategies
- Grid synchronization algorithms
- Control of energy production systems in isolated or connected grids
Testi di riferimento
1) Gilbert M. Masters, “Renewable and Efficient Electric Power Systems”, A JOHN WILEY & SONS, INC., PUBLICATION
2) Bent Sørensen - Renewable Energy Conversion, Transmission and Storage - Elsevier
Programmazione del corso
|1||1. Introduction to the renewable energies in power systems||1|
|2||2. Solar energy||1|
|3||3. Photovoltaic Materials, Electrical Characteristics and systems||1|
|4||4. Solar thermal systems||1|
|5||5. Monitoring of PV, solar thermal and PV/T systems||1|
|6||6. Concentrating solar power (CSP) technologies||1|
|7||7. Wind energy source||1|
|8||8. Wind power systems||1|
|9||9. Marine power system technologies||2|
|10||10. Impact of renewable non programmable generators on power systems||2|
|11||11. Distributed generation and ancillary services||2|
|12||12. Renewable hydrogen||2|
|13||13. Fuel cells||2|
|14||14. Electrochemical storage||2|
|15||15. Power converters topologies for stand-alone and grid connected systems||2|
|16||16. Maximum power point tracking strategies||2|
|17||17. Grid synchronization algorithms||2|
|18||18. Control of energy production systems in isolated or connected grids||2|
Modalità di verifica dell'apprendimento
Nota importante: La verifica dell’apprendimento potrà essere effettuata anche per via telematica, qualora le condizioni lo dovessero richiedere.
- Oral exam and a written report about the analysis or sizing of a renewable power system
Frontal lectures on theoretical topics carried out by video projector. Development and analysis of numerical exercises in the classroom through a video projector with the use of specialized softwares. Collective solutions of numerical exercises and case studies.
Esempi di domande e/o esercizi frequenti
The students are required to speak about two topics reported in the course program.